Thursday 4 July 2013

My week in the sewing room

Everybody loves a surprise, a pleasant surprise that is.   


Last week the Hawthorne Threads Newsletter arrived via email and as I scanned down the images of beautiful fabrics, I was stunned to see one of my dresses featured.  What a delightful surprise, particularly as it was such a gloomy, rainy day outside.

My fabric stash has been growing alarmingly, much of it set aside for custom orders, but all too many yardages suitable for one-of-a-kind dresses.  I had enough of a particular fabric which I knew would make a perfect sailor dress.


By coincidence I came across this pattern by Tie Dye Diva Patterns.  In the past I have tested down-loadable PDF patterns and some have left a lot to be desired - confusing instructions, poorly photographed and generally difficult to follow.


However, this pattern was a joy to work with - precise instructions and clear images.  


Some time back I bought this gorgeous voile fabric from Hawthorne Threads and was happy to simply look and admire, not wanting to cut into it.


Finally common sense kicked in and I realised it was time to let go.  There was enough to make a dress in size 4 and it's available here.

Image by ImageInCafe
As soon as I saw this fabric I knew exactly the style of dress would suit it perfectly.  Even in sunny Queensland it was becoming a little chilly, so I hurried off the dress to Sandrine of Image In Cafe, hoping that this adorable little model wouldn't freeze to death during the photo session.  She didn't and it's available here.




But it hasn't all been about dresses.  With so many scraps taking over my sewing room, the timing was perfect for the call-out from my quilting group to make some blocks for the quilts we are planning to give to a local women's refuge.  We now have enough quilt tops for several beds and the next step will be to get them quilted and on their way.


And now back to the machine to put finishing touches to a couple of dresses which will soon be on their way to be photographed.

At least it takes the mind off winter.

No comments: