Saturday 30 April 2011

Markets and Weddings

What else could they throw at us?  Who would have predicted that the Royals would organise a wedding to take place on the evening (local Brisbane time) of our Twilight Market?  And to add insult to injury, we were hit with not one but two severe storm fronts over the course of the evening.

Water-logged King George Square - even the free bikes were abandoned.


















But we are a tough breed in BrisStyle Land.  We simply relocated to the covered deck area in King George Square, dispensed with our marquees and snuggled into much cosier spaces.

Setting up








Mr Fudge wisely brought his Kindle along with him.






















Despite all the odds stacked against us, the crowds quickly built up during the next few hours and our market worked its traditional magic on the buyers.

Luckily my stock stayed dry.



I had the best of neighbours:

lovely mum-to-be Samantha of Jetta's Nest, and

the effervescent Sophie of Strat Designs.

And there was music.

I am kicking myself for not taking photos of the two raging storms, but I was too busy hiding under the table. 

A lovely English visitor in Brisbane for a conference stopped by for a friendly chat.  She was really impressed by the high standard of our market.  As a regular visitor to the top markets in London, she expressed the opinion that our BrisStyle market was far superior.   Music to my ears.

On the way home we pulled into the local  McDonalds (I know, I know, but we were very tired and very hungry) and arrived home clutching our burgers and chips in time to see the newly-weds on their way back to Buckingham Palace.  We toasted the happy couple with red wine and we stayed with the live broadcast until The Kiss.  We then watched the first part of the wedding which we had pre-recorded until way after midnight before staggering off to bed.  All in all a very busy and satisfying day. 

Oh, and I LOVED the dress, very reminiscent of Princess Grace. 

2 comments:

shelleyberelli said...

Lovely post Robyn. You've captured the night beautifully.

Jetta's Nest said...

Great post Robyn and what a great shot of me and my brother!